(3) Raise gin pole (1) and push the foot spike
through the open bolt hole. As pole is raised, attach
block and tackle (4) to the head block eye. With the
pole in raised position, lash it to bracket (3).
(4) Attach rope deck hook (5) to the lower tackle
(5) With the pull line outside of the tank and as
close to the pole as possible, lower hook (5) and attach
it to top chime center bolt hole of second ring first stave
(6) Raise first stave (2) and position it over bolts (4,
fig. 8, 31) so that it straddles a vertical seam.
(7) Attach three nuts (5, fig. 8-26) to equally
spaced bolts and tighten to hold stave in place.
(8) From outside the tank, attach guy line (6, fig. 8-
32) near center of top chime on first stave (2). This is to
stabilize the ring until it is self-supporting.
(9) From inside the tank, attach guy lines to the first
two or three staves as they are installed.
e. Installing Second Stave of Second Ring.
(1) Remove gin pole (1, fig. 8-32) and reposition it.
Replace the bolt in bottom chime of first ring stave.
(2) Start at left seam of first stave (2), and count off
eight bolts in the bottom chime. Remove the eighth
CENTER REST HOOK
(3) Raise the pole (1) and place foot spike (1, fig.
8-33) in the eighth bolt hole. From the right seam of
ROPE DECK HOOK
SECOND STAVE OF SECOND RING
first stave (2, fig. 8-32), count off four, bolt holes in the
LOWER TACKLE BLOCK
top chime and place center rest hook (2, fig. 8-33) in
the bolt hole. Tighten bolt that holds the hook on the gin
Figure 8-33. Hoisting second stave of second ring.