(2) Install strip gasket (3) to cover all boltholes.
When one roll of gasket is used up and a new one is
The nuts are not tightened until the last stave
started, the overlap should extend over two boltholes.
of the ring is in place.
Apply sealing compound at each end of overlap.
(3) Install wedge gasket (2, fig. 8-26) to fill the
(3) Insert wedge gasket (4) underneath gasket (3) at
space left by lap offset at vertical seam.
each lap formed by adjoining bottom sections.
(4) Insert /2-by 114 inch bolts (2) through the
bottom and gasket (3) in that order. Leave three
boltholes (5) open at the middle of each bottom section.
(5) As staves are erected, the bottom chimes
overlap at points of omission of the bolts. Insert bolts
(2) through boltholes (5) as each stave is overlapped.
Omit steel recessed washers on all chime
8-10. Installation of First Ring Side Staves
a. General. The first stave installed must be one
fitted with a pipe coupling of the same size as the tank
b. Installing First Stave.
(1) Place first stave (1, fig. 8-25) over the proper
bolts (2, fig. 8-24) so that it straddles a radial seam in
the bottom. As a result, each subsequent stave (2, fig.
Figure 8-26. Locating radii and wedge gaskets at bottom
8-25) will straddle a radial seam.
(4) Install radii gasket (1) underneath gaskets (4) of
the vertical seam at bottom chime (3).
(5) Install radii gasket (1, fig. 8-27) underneath
gaskets of the vertical seam at the top chime.
1. RADII GASKET
1. FIRST STAVE INSTALLED
2. PLAIN STAVE
Figure 8-27. Locating radii gasket at top chime.
Figure 8-25. Installing first stave in first ring of tank.
(2) Install nuts (5, fig. 8-26) on all bolts (2, fig. 8-
24) to fasten the stave loosely.