(3) Remove old adhesive and gasket residue using cloth dampened (not wet) with trichlorotrifluoroethane
(item 13, App. D).
(4) After panel surface is dry, apply MA-509A silicone compound (item 3, App. D) to new gasket, then
place new gasket on back of panel and press into place. Allow one minute drying time for compound
before replacing front panel.
x. Access Cover Repair. The access cover (figure 5-3, item (2) and (3)) is repairable by removing and
replacing the shielding gasket (1B), gasket retainer (1C) or panel screw (1). To repair a top or bottom access
cover, proceed as follows:
(1) If a rivet (1A) comes loose or is damaged, replace the rivet in accordance with paragraph 5-12s.
If the shielding gasket (1B) becomes defective, follow procedures given to remove rivets in
paragraph 5-12s, steps (1) through (5). Remove 20 rivets that secure gasket retainer (1C) and
shielding gasket to access cover.
(3) If the shielding gasket becomes defective, the 20 panel screws (1) must be removed before the
gasket can be removed. Use pair of side-cut pliers or dikes to cut off threaded portion of panel
screw, then remove screws, retainer and gasket.
(4) Use a drill bit with a diameter as close as possible to that of the panel screw sleeve, but not larger
than the inner diameter of the sleeve, to drill out the sleeves still in the panel.
(5) Use damaged gasket as a pattern to form a new gasket and to mark new gasket for correct hole
positions. Solder gasket where two ends join together.
(6) Use gasket retainer to overlay onto gasket and drill 20 - 0.095 inch diameter holes through gasket for
new rivets. Also drill 20 - 0.187 (+.004 - 001) inch diameter holes through gasket for new panel
(7) Place gasket retainer on top of gasket, then place both on bottom of access cover and aline holes.
Using an H7503-X installation tool, install 20 new panel screws and sleeves.
(8) Install 20 new rivets in accordance with paragraph 5-12s, steps (6) and (7).
(9) If a panel screw becomes damaged, replace it in accordance with step (3), (4) and (7) of this