Section IV. ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION OF TANK DECK
8-17. Assembly of Deck Sections
and one plate is fitted with a liquid level indicator.
(3) One deck truss is assembled on 36 sections.
Two deck trusses are assembled on the remaining
section. This section is identified as the first deck
(1) The assembled deck section consists of 74
section. The center deck section, assembled with the
tapered, flat, steel plates. There are 37 inner plates, all
manhole dome assembly, completes the assembly.
interchangeable, and 37 outer plates, also
interchangeable. The two plates are bolted together and
b. Layout and Assembly of Plates.
are then treated as 37 one-piece sections.
(1) Lay one inner plate (1, fig. 8-47) and one
(2) Six of the 37 outer plates are special plates.
outer plate (2) on the tank bottom.
Three plates are assembled with blind flanges, two
plates are assembled with a pressure vacuum valve,
Figure 8-47. Assembling inner and outer deck plates
(2) Place bolting channel under inner joining
joining seam of outer plate (2).
seam of outer plate (2). Insert 1/2 -by 1/4-inch bolts
(6) Install steel recessed washer 16), cupped
(3) through all except the end boltholes (5) of
side down, and nut (7) on each bolt (3). Tighten all
plate and channel. Make sure bolt heads set square in
c. Assembling First Deck Section.
(3) Place a bolt retaining board under the
(1) Place blocking on tank bottom to support the
deck section. Locate blocking lengthwise to section so
(4) Install strip gasket (4) along the full length of
that it will not obstruct the boltholes in the lap seams.
joining seam. Allow a 2-bolthole overlap at each end.
(5) Joining seam of inner plate (1) overlaps