c. Preventive Maintenance. Do not attempt other than organization preventive maintenance on the apparatus.
Defective heaters, motors, and thermoregulators should be replaced or repaired by higher echelon.
(1) Lubricating. Oil stirrer motor every 1,000 hours of use, applying light lubricating oil "(Military Symbol L0)".
Most cleaning solvents are hazardous. Avoid prolonged skin contact and breathing of vapors.
Check container label for warnings.
(2) Cleaning. Clean exterior of bath, using clean, damp cloth. When required, clean bath interior as follows:
Completely drain oil and use suitable solvent to remove remaining oil; clean bath using standard solvent PD 680. Clean
the capillary tube of the thermoregulator, when required, by pushing a cotton-covered wire through the tube. Make
certain that no trace of oil contaminates either mercury or tube.
2-11. DISTILLATION CABINETS.
a. Component Items. Distillation cabinet (Unit No. 3) consists of two distillation units (fig. 2-13), and distillation
cabinet (Unit No. 4) consists of one distillation unit (fig. 2-14). The distillation apparatus is permanently mounted on the
elevating platforms. The apparatus is the front-view type consisting of 115-volt, 750-watt, heater; heater shield,
condenser, condenser tube and outlet, overflow tube, condenser drain outlet, flasks, cylinders, refractory blocks, and
wooden blocks for supporting graduated or cooling cylinders. Drawers of each cabinet contain miscellaneous testing
equipment and apparatus.
b. Operation. Make certain that elevating platform is properly locked in raised position before starting operation.
(1) Connect overflow tube and condenser drain outlet to drain.
(2) Connect electric heater cord to electric outlet.
(3) Place refractory block on heater, and place distillation flask on refractory block. To adjust height of
refractory block and heater, turn elevating control knob clockwise to raise; counterclockwise to lower.
(4) Place cylinder on wooden block under condenser outlet.
(5) Push toggle switch to ON position, and set temperature control knob at desired heat. Turn knob clockwise
to increase temperature, counterclockwise to decrease temperature.