Items with these codes are not to be requested/requisitioned
individually. The parts that make up the assembled item must be
requisitioned or fabricated and assembled at the level of maintenance
indicated by the source code. If the 3rd position code of the SMR code
authorizes you to replace the item, but the source code indicates the
item is assembled at a higher level, order the item from the higher
level of maintenance.
XA - Do not requisition an "XA" -coded item. Order its next higher assembly. (Also, refer to the
XB - If an "XB" item is not available from salvage, order it using the CAGEC and part number.
XC - Installation drawing, diagram, instruction sheet, field service drawing; identified by manufac-
turer's part number.
XD - Item is not stocked. Order an "XD" -coded item through normal supply channels using the
CAGEC and part number given, if no NSN is available.
Cannibalization or controlled exchange, when authorized, may be used
as a source of supply for items with the above source codes, except for
those source coded "XA" or those aircraft support items restricted by
requirements of AR 700-42.
(2) Maintenance Code. Maintenance codes tell you the level(s) of maintenance authorized to USE and
REPAIR support items. The maintenance codes are entered in the third and fourth positions of the SMR
Code as follows:
(a) The maintenance code entered in the third position tells you the lowest maintenance level
authorized to remove, replace, and use an item. The maintenance code entered in the third position will indi-
cate authorization to one of the following levels of maintenance.
- Crew or operator maintenance done within unit maintenance.
- Unit level maintenance can remove, replace, and use the item.
- Direct support level maintenance can remove, replace, and use the item.
- General support level maintenance can remove, replace, and use the item.
- Specialized repair activity can remove, replace and use the item.
- Depot support level maintenance can remove, replace, and use the item.