d. General information relative to the properties
(13) Use only authorized vehicles equipped
with spark arrestors to transport munitions and
applicable to military explosives will be found in TM 9-
1300-214, and may be used as a guide in the
formulation of safety standards.
e. Personnel responsibilities. Personnel working
explosives, and pyrotechnic materials shall be
with munitions are required to observe the following
determined by a careful analysis of all facts, including
operation timing, transportation methods, size of the
items, and the chemical and physical characteristics of
(1) Do not carry fire or spark-producing
the material. Stricter limits will be used for the more
sensitive or hazardous material.
unless authorized in writing.
(2) Do not smoke, except in authorized areas.
(1) Limits shall be established for each
After smoking, assure that burning tobacco is
operation, rather than on an overall basis, and included
in SOP's and applicable DMWR's so that each worker
(3) Do not have fires for heating or cooking,
will be charged with the responsibility of not exceeding
except in authorized areas.
the established limit. Limits may be expressed in units
(4) Do not allow accumulation of litter,
of weight, trays, boxes, pallets, or any other unit which
packing material, dunnage, dry leaves, grass or twigs,
may be more easily observed and controlled.
etc., within fire-break areas.
(2) Except for storage buildings, explosives
(5) Pick up any debris within storage area.
limits shall not be established on the basis of the
(6) Do not accumulate oily rags or other
maximum quantity of explosives permitted by
material subject to spontaneous ignition, except in
explosives safety separation when smaller quantities will
covered metal box. Have such material collected daily
suffice for the operation. The maximum amount of
and removed from area.
explosives (expressed by weight or units of ammunition
(7) Do not conduct operations without
items as applicable) permitted in each room, cubicle, or
approved Standing Operating Procedures (SOP's) and
building containing explosives will be conspicuously
posted in each such area.
(3) Except for operational necessity, supplies
ammunition storage sites.
exceeding approximately a 4-hour work requirement
(9) Do not become careless by reason of
should be kept in a service storage building located at
familiarity with ammunition.
intraline distance from operating buildings.
(10) In case of fire, sound alarm immediately.
Be ready to show location of fire to firefighting personnel
g. Safety hand tools -
sent to scene.
(1) Safety hand tools are constructed of
(11) Assure that each man knows what to do in
wood, nonsparking or spark-resistant materials such as
case of fire within work area.
bronze, lead, beryllium alloys, and "K" Monel metal
(12) The person in charge should instruct all
which, under normal conditions of use, will not produce
personnel on the existing fire plan to aid firefighting
sparks. Properly maintained nonferrous hand tools shall
crews and to prevent loss of life and property in case of
be used for work in locations which contain exposed
explosives or hazardous concentrations