Section I. GENERAL
This chapter contains detailed instructions, for repair
In subsequent paragraphs it is understood that
of the telescope at the direct support and general
damaged or missing parts are to be replaced. Such
support maintenance levels.
Disassembly of the
repair, if beyond the scope of this manual, shall be cause
instrument and the extent of repair is limited to
to evacuate the instrument to a depot maintenance shop.
replacement of parts authorized to the applicable
maintenance levels in TM 9-1240-31134P.
Section II. REPAIR OF TELESCOPE
Replacement of Eyeguard (Fig. 3-1)
(1) Inspect the general condition of the
headrest, check for signs of deteriorating rubber.
a. Removal. Remove three setscrews (1).
(2) Inspect hardware and items removed from
Carefully pull eyeguard (2) from end of the eyepiece
bracket for rust or corrosion or broken threads. Check
spring for compression.
b. Inspection. Inspect the rubber of the eyeguard
d. Service. Clean the headrest in warm water with
for cracks or other signs of deterioration.
a mild soap. Dry thoroughly.
c. Repair. Repair is limited to replacement of the
e. Repair. Repair is limited to replacement of
missing, defective, or damaged parts.
f. Assembly (Fig. 3-2).
(1) Apply a light film of grease, MIL-;23827, to
the cavity of plungers (8) and seat spring (9) into the
Replacement of Headrest and Repair of
cavity of one plunger.
(2) Insert plunger and spring through hole in
side of bracket (10) and into the horizontal channel.
a. Removal (Fig. 3-1).
Insert the second plunger through hole on opposite side
(1) Remove items 3, 4, and 5.
of bracket until the free end of spring is seated in cavity
(2) Carefully work headrest and bracket
of the plunger.
assembly (6) along the neck of the eyepiece assembly
(3) Apply sealing compound, MIL-S-11031, to
the threads of screw (7). Insert the screws through the
elongated holes in top of the bracket and into the
b. Disassembly (Fig. 3-2).
threaded holes of the plungers.
(1) Disengage appropriate screw (7) at top of
(4) Position support (4) on the metal support
bracket assembly (6) to release headrest (1).
at rear of headrest (5), install washer (3), secure with
(2) Remove items 2 and 3, and support (4)
from headrest (5).
(3) Use screwdriver to remove screw (7).
g. Installation (Fig. 3-1).
(4) Pull plungers (8) from both sides of
bracket (10) and remove spring (9).