(2) Electric Oven.
(a) Connect electric oven to electric source, and insert suitable thermometer in spacer provided at top of
(b) Push toggle switch to ON position, and set temperature control knob for desired temperature.
2-10. HIGH TEMPERATURE KINEMATIC VISCOSIMETER CABINET.
a. Component Items. The high temperature kinematic viscosimeter cabinet (fig. 2-12) consists of two kinematic
viscosity baths permanently mounted on the elevating platform, two control boxes, two relays, two oil strainers, and 1-
quart capacity viscosimeter pan with lip. The control boxes are mounted for storage on the rear of the two cabinet doors.
Other component items are stored in the cabinet drawer. Miscellaneous items for other testing apparatus may also be
stored in the drawer of this cabinet.
Before starting operation, make certain that elevating platform is securely locked in the raised
(1) Remove control box from door and mount on bath bracket. Connect relay switch and connect control to
(2) Connect bath stirrer; insert oil tubes, and position and connect thermoregulator.
(3) Fill bath to proper level with special bath oil, and place viscosity flasks in flask holders.
(4) Push toggle line switch to ON position. Push quick heat toggle switch to ON position. When the quick
heat switch is pushed on, both the red warning and the clear pilot lights turn on. The relay switch, controlling bath
heaters, prevents bath from exceeding set temperature.
(5) When required temperature is reached, push the quick heat switch to OFF position. The thermoregulator
then maintains close temperature control of the bath.
(6) If higher temperatures than those maintained by above procedures are desired, push the continuos heat
toggle switch to the ON position.
(7) To drain bath, attach hose to nipple at lower end of overflow tube. Lift bath cover and unscrew overflow
tube, allowing oil to drain quickly.
(8) For detailed descriptions of operation of the high temperature kinematic viscosimeter, and for information
on test procedures, consult applicable petroleum testing references.