align it with its mounting hole in the spring seat (9) of the
(3) Remove the wheels, hub and brake drum from
axle. Insert the I inch he ad bolt(4), then the washer (5)
axle. See TM 5-6120-250-12.
and lock nut (6).
(4) Remove brake assembly.(para.7-5).
(4) Tighten "U" bolt 7/8 hex nuts (10) and torque arm
(5) Remove slack adjusters (3) and brake chambers
I inch bolt (4) and I inch lock nuts (6) snug.
121 from their brackets on the axle (para 7-7 b(3)).
(5) If the axle that was not replaced was correctly
(6) Place jacks or stands underneath axle to support
positioned with trailer bed and king pin, it may be used to
correctly position the replacement axle. See following
(7) Remove the I inch hex head bolts (4) washers (5)
and lock nuts (6) fastening the torque arms(7) on left end
(6) To check the position of the newly installed axle
and adjustable torque arm 181 on right end to the spring
from the other, measure the distance from the center of
seat (9) of the axle.
the correctly mounted axle. This measurement should be
43 1/2 inches (E and D on fig. 7-7) and should be within
The torque arms on the right hand side of each axle
are nonadjustable. The torque arms on the left hand
1/8 inch of each other, one side to the other side.
side of - each axle are adjustable are length.
(7) When the newly installed axle is in position torque
(8) Remove the two 7/8 hex lock nut (10) and washer
1" bolts and lock nuts to :350-375 ft-lbs., and 7/8 bolts and
(11) from each of the two "U" bolts (12)at each end of
locknuts to 225-250 ft.-lbs.
(8) Install the brake chambers and slack adjuster" on
(9) Remove the "U" bolts top plate (13).
their mounting bracket on axle. See preceding paragraph
Remove axle (14)
b. Axle Installation.
(9) Reassemble the brake assembly, see preceding
Place new axle in position carefully
aligning the spring seats (9, fig.7-3) with "U" bolts (12),
Install wheels on axle, see TM 5-6120-
top plate (13) and torque arms (7 and 8).
(2) With "U" bolt top plate (13) in position on top of
(11) Lower trailer onto its wheels, run trailer back and
spring (15), and "U" bolts (12) positioned, install the 7/8
forth. Check axle position and adjust if needed (fig.7-7).
washers (11) and 7/8 hex head lock nuts (10), do not
(3) Place end of torque arms (7 and 8) in place and