(6) Inspect brake linings for grease
saturation, wear and loose revits or bolts.
(7) Inspect drums for cracks, scoring or
(1) Install new bushings (19 and 20, fig.7-
other dam ages.
1)in brake spider and "O'' rings(21) if required.
(2) Install "O" ring (21) on cam end of
shaft. Install cam shaft through spider bracket and
(I) Perform steps (a) through (f) of
(3) Install cam shaft with one of the "O"
(2) Remove inner cam end lock ring (10,
rings (21) on spider bushing assembly. When end
fig.7-1), washer (11) from cam shaft.
of cam shaft clears the bushing assembly, install
(3) Release cam shaft lock ring (13)
second "O" ring (21), washer (17) and lock ring (13)
adjacent to spider.
on cam shaft. Proceed with shaft into and through
(4) Pull cam shaft (14) out so that end
the support bracket housing (20) and bushing
clears the slack adjuster, inner cam shaft bushing
support (15) and bushing assembly (16) being
(4) Slide the lock ring (13) into position
careful of bushing assembly seals (22)
near spider next to washer (17) and secure in
(5) Slide the lock ring (13) and washers
(17) to the end of cam shaft (14) and remove.
(5) Align the parts end "O" bushing seals
(6) Complete the cam shaft (14) removal.
(22) and carefully tighten the screws (18)around the
(7) Remove bushings (19 and 20) from
bushing assembly (16).
spider only if replacement is necessary. Check "O"
(6) Position "S" cam on cam shaft (14) at
zero and install slack adjuster (12), washer (11) and
(8) If inner cam end bushing assembly
lock ring (10).
(16) is to be replaced, remove bolts, a screw (18)
(7) Attach roller cam followers (9) to brake
and lock washers (23) and flat washer (24) and
shoe assembly (7) with retainer spring (8).
(8) Assemble brake shoe assembly (7) to
7-6. Brake Assembly
spider (25) and tap anchor pin (6) in place.
a. Prior to Reassembly. The following parts
(9) Secure anchor pin (6) with washers (4)
should be lightly coated with brake lubricant.
and lock rings (3) on inner side then anchor pin
(1) Cam shaft bushings.
bushing (5), washer (4) and lock ring (3) on outer
(2) Cam roller follower shafts and journals.
end. It is recommended that all new lock rings be
installed where used.
Excessive lubricant should be avoided as
(10) Install brake shoe return spring (1)
grease soaked lining cannot b' salvaged