entire width of the three channels and placed
be used with hook and lifting cable using the lifting plate
so that the cabinet is not distorted. (Never
holes to lift or hoist cabinet. See figure 2-11.
use transition area to support weight.)
Otherwise serious damage may result to
Use two wood spacers across each side of
cabinet near top and spreader heads
(11) Lower cabinet on to construction rollers.
holding cables apart to obtain vertical pull
(12) Cabinet may be shifted or moved using the
on lift plates. Otherwise serious damage
will result to the equipment.
(13) Put bolts, nuts and washers in flange holes
(2) Use shackles, cables, hooks and crane
for safe keeping. Insert bolts with washers in the holes for
capable of lifting 1600 lbs. minimum.
the front and rear transition covers for safe keeping.
(3) Carefully lift high voltage section up and
Place front and rear covers aside so that they will not be
away from transformer.
Avoid hitting transformer
damaged until reinstalled.
High Voltage Section Installation
c. Moving High Voltage Section Without Hoist (fig.
a. Lifting High Voltage Section.
(1) Clear trailer deck of all unnecessary
(1) Items needed:
equipment, have area for high voltage section ready.
(a) Four short slings with a loop on each
(2) Attach slings, lifting devices and lift cabinet
per paragraph 2-15 b.
(b) Four short bars about six inches long
(3) With hoist move cabinet into position for
with a diameter which will permit them to fit through holes
lowering onto trailer. The transition side goes toward the
in lifting plates on cabinet base.
(c) Four lifting jacks capable of lifting
Care must be taken not to hit the
(d) Two metal bars or timbers with a
transformer insulator connections when
minimum length of 4 feet and capability of lifting or
lowering high voltage section on trailer.
supporting 1600 lbs.
(4) Lower cabinet slowly and guide it to its
(e) Three construction roller bars 5 feet
position as close as lifting equipment will allow.
long with uniform diameters.
(5) When cabinet is on trailer deck, remove
(2) Disconnect high voltage cabinet per
lifting equipment from cabinet and area.
b. Connecting High Voltage Section to Transformer.
(3) Remove transition area front and rear
(1) If cabinet must be moved more than a few
inches the method described in paragraph 2-15 c may be
(4) Insert a six-inch long bar through each
used. The last inch may require hand winching.
lifting plate hole.
Each end should protrude an
(2) Install gasket on flange of the transition of
approximately equal distance from the plate. See figure
high voltage cabinet as follows:
2-11 transition end view.
(a) Clean flange surface.
(5) Place the loop of one end of a short sling
(b) Apply a thin coat of adhesive to both
around one end of rod in lifting plate and other loop
the flange and one side of gasket.
around other end of rod on opposite side of lifting plate.
(c) Allow adhesive to dry until it is no
This should form a short lifting sling whose ends are
around the six inch long rod, one each side of lifting plate.
(d) Install gasket just outside the mounting
(6) Repeat step 3 on all four corners.
bolt holes of flange. Allow the piece across the top to
(7) Place one bar or timber across each end of
overlap the two side pieces. Press gasket against flange
high voltage cabinet, inserted into sling loop of the front
with enough pressure to make good contact.
and rear corner. One bar will pass through the transition
(3) Move cabinet into position. The bolt holes
area where front and rear covers were removed .
in base must be aligned with holes in trailer deck. The
(8) Place one lifting jack under bar or timber at
bolt holes in flange must line up with holes in flange of
each lifting plate corner.
(9) Using lifting jacks raise cabinet a sufficient
height to clear rollers to be used. Raise cabinet as evenly
as possible so as not to twist and distort it causing
If trouble is experienced with aligning flange
damage to equipment.
holes, it may be possible to line them lip by
loosening transformer mounting bolts. Then
(10) Place construction rollers under the three
when flange holes line lip, insert bolts and
channels of the cabinet base.
hand tighten nuts. Then line high voltage
section base holes with trailer holes and insert
The rollers must be long enough to fit the
high voltage section mounting bolts and nuts.