g. Install Hub Cap.
When installing hub and brake
drum on axle do not let drum drag
(1) Clean the face of the hub cap and apply a
across lining on brake shoes.
light coat oaf non-hardening gasket sealer for the hub
(2) Install special service nut with recessed
(2) Position the gasket and apply another
face towards the bearing. This nut replaces original
light coat of non-hardening gasket sealer to outside
adjustment nut (save the original adjustment nut for
future use. The reuse of this nut with new bearings will
again achieve the original positive bearing adjustment).
(3) Install the transparent hub cap and
reinforcing ring with cap screws and lockwashers.
(3) Tighten special service adjusting nut to 50
Tighten cap screws.
ft.-lb. with a torque wrench while rotating hub back and
forth (in both directions).
h. To Change from Positive Wheel Bearing
Adjustment to Manual Adjustment. (fig. 4-9). If wheel
(4) Back off adjusting nut (special service
bearings adjustment measured as in paragraph 4-31c
nut) 1/4 turn.
is greater than .012 inches loose, but less than .040
(5) Install pierced lockwasher.
inches loose, a manually adjusted set may be used.
lockwasher if necessary to engage dowel on adjusting
The inner adjusting nut is replaced by a special Service
Nut A-1227-S-877. This nut has a recess on its inner
face to clear the shoulder on the spindle. This will
(6) Install jam nut and tighten to 256-300 ft.
permit removing the excess looseness, if the bearings
lb. with a torque wrench.
are satisfactory for further ,service.
(7) Install gasket and hub cap per preceding
(1) See d above for removal and replacement
of hub and drum.