KEY to figure 4-2:
c. When bus bar connections are to be made
1. Bolt 5/8-11 x 1 3/4 LG
2. Hex nut 5/8-11
(1) Clean all silvered contacts with silver
3. Washer for 5/8 bolt
polish. Do not use sandpaper or any other type of
4. Feeder bus connection
5. Bolt 5/8-11 x 2 LG
6. Hex nut 5/ 8-11
(2) Be sure all polish is removed after
7. Washer for 5/8 bolt
(3) Coat contacts with a lubricant D50H47
10. Removable link 8 and 9 connected
(4) The above steps must be performed on
11. Connection bars from output stud
all contacts of the three pairs or sets.
12. Main breaker output cable clamps
d. To install the
The low voltage distribution
cabinet must be de-energized
(1) Check for proper length links. (Holes line
removable bus links.
tip in top stud connection and lower bus connections.)
personnel injury and/or damage
(2) With the tops (short legs) together insert
to (equipment may result.
between the two bars of the breaker output stud
connection. The lower or longer legs straddle the bus
connection bar. All holes at top and bottom should line
4-24. Installation of Feeder Bus Removable Link
(3) With a plain washer (7, fig. 4-2) on the 2
inch long 5/ bolts, insert bolt (5) from the top through the
a. Perform the safety precautions in paragraph 4-
holes in the top bar, the two link bars and the lower stud
b. The three pairs or sets of links are different
(4) Place second plain washer (, I on bolt 1l)
lengths because the three output stud connections of the
and install nut (6) on bolt.
main breaker are at the same level. While the three
(5) Tighten nut hand tight.
feeder bus connections are on three different levels (fig.
(6) Place a washer (3) on the 1 3/4 inch long
2-3). It also should be noticed that the legs of each pair
5/8 bolt (1). Insert bolt through outside link bar feeder
or set of links (8 and 9, fig. 4-2) are of different lengths.
bus connection (4) and other link bar.
The shorter (9, fig. 4-2) of the t_ is installed tinder the
(7) Place second washer (3) on bolt 41) and
longer (8 fig. 4-2) so that the holes of the short legs line
install nut (2) on bolt hand tight.
up when placed one o4n top of the other. The holes of
(8) Make sure all bars line up right.
the longer legs ,should also line up but a space is
(9) Tighten each bolt and nut to 35-45 lb-ft.
between bars, approximately the thickness of one bar.
(10) Install the next two pairs or sets of
removable links the same as in paragraphs lone through
Section VII. MAINTENANCE OF CABLE REELS
a. Straighten the sides if they are bent, or badly
a. Straighten or replace shaft 'f bent
dented. Make sure the shaft is straight and the weld
securing it to the sides is intact.
b. Check that roll pin pinning it to drum shaft is in
b. Check barrel for dents and the weld securing it
place and tight.
to the sides are intact, check cable tie down on barrel,
c. Check to insure shaft locking collars .are tight.
check drum locking bar and eye bolts.
There are two locking collars just outside of each
c. Straighten all dents or bends and repair welded
bearing block, and a split locking collar on the inside end
joints as needed. Clean and repaint where bare metal is
just beyond the bearing locking collar. (fig. 4-3 ).
showing. If drum must be removed, see paragraph 4-