3-27. Crankshaft, Crankshaft Gear and Bearing
wear and out-of-round with a micrometer. The
desired dimension of journal is 1.8110 to 1.8115
a. General. The crankshaft is mounted on two
inches and 1.1925 to 1.1975 inches in width.
r o l l e r - t y p e main bearings. Main bearings ad-
(2) Inspect main bearing retaining plates for
justment is accomplished by adding or removing
damage. Replace if defective.
shims between the main bearings plate and the
(3) Inspect bearing cones and cups for
crankcase. The crankshaft gear is located in the
gear case at the flywheel end of the engine.
(4) Replace a shaft that is worn more than
b. Removal and Disassembly.
(1) Remove the connecting rods and pistons
d. Reassembly and Installation.
(1) Refer to figure 3-32 and reassemble and
(2) Remove idler gear and shaft (para 3-26).
install the crankshaft and related parts.
( 3 ) Refer to figure 3-32 and remove and
(2) Install the idler gear and shaft (para 3-26).
disassemble crankshaft assembly and related parts.
(3) Install the piston and connecting rods
(1) Inspect connecting rod journals on the
crankshaft for scoring measure rod journals for
Key to figure 3-32:
3. Main bearing plate and
4. Main bearing plate
5. Main bearing cup
Bearing retainer plate
9. Bearing, crankshaft and gear