pole (4) to center support base (2).
(2) Gin pole components, provided in the
d. Installing Umbrella-Type Support.
storage tank-erection outfit and illustrated on figure 6-
10, are required to install deck support (7) and the tank
(1) Attach a rope sling to rafter landing ring (1,
A fig. 6-8) of assembled umbrella-type support.
b. Installing Center Supports. The end of center
(2) Attach hooks (6, fig. 6-10) to the sling and
lift support (7) slightly above the top of center support
support (1, fig. 6-10), which has four welded support
angles, is the top. Lift support and install bottom end in
(3) Lower umbrella-type support so the gusset
center support base (2).
c. Installing Gin Pole.
cone goes over
(4) ooks (6) and remove rope sling.
(1) Install gin pole adapter on center support (1,
(4) Place step plate (8) over center support (1).
fig. 6-10) just below the support angles near top of
Aline holes and install center support bolt through plate
and center support. Secure bolt with nut.
(2) Assemble top and middle sections of gin
e. Adjusting Tank Center Support.
pole, less the center rest.
(1) Measure distance from top of center support
(3) Slide assembled gin pole (4) through adapter
base plate (3, fig. 6-1) to top of support angles on
clamp (3) on support (1).
center support (1, fig. 6-10). Distance between these
(4) As gin pole (4) is raised through adapter
points should be 6 feet, 5/16 inch.
clamps (3) attach block and tackle (5) to the head block
(2) Place a jack on heavy timber under each
jack lug at bottom of support (1). Using the jack, raise
(5) Attach two deck hooks (6) to the lower block
assembled support until correct measurement is
of block and tackle (5).
(6) Place heavy wooden block on center support
(3) Aline boltholes in support (1) and base (2).
base (2) to support the bottom end of pole (4).
Install bolt through alined holes and secure with a nut.
(7) With pole (4) on the wooden block, aline
(4) Remove jacks and blocking.
pole so that it is parallel to center support (1).
(8) Tighten adapter (3) and lash bottom of gin
Section IV. ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION OF TANK DECK
6-14. Assembly of Deck Plates and Rafters
pipe plug connected to the coupling.
(3) All rafters are interchangeable and identical.
(1) The assembled deck consists of 20 tapered,
One rafter is assembled under each lap seam of the
flat, steel plates and 20 Z-bar rafters. Rafters are
attached to the top chime of the staves and the rafter
(4) The center deck section assembled with
landing ring (1, fig. 6-8).
manhold dome (3) completes the tank deck.
(2) All plates are interchangeable. Seventeen
b. Assembling Rafters. The top of the rafter (1, fig.
plates (1, fig. 1-3) are identical; three are special plates.
6-11) is the portion with 71 holes drilled on 2-inch
Each of two special plates (special deck plates) has an
centers. The inner end has two holes drilled on 2-inch
8-inch hole for installation of a pressure vacuum valve
centers in the vertical portion 1 1/8 inches from the end.
(6). The third special plate is the level indicator plate.
The outer end has two holes drilled on 2-inch centers in
This plate is equipped with a half coupling welded into
the bottom of the rafter 1 inch from the end.
the plate and a 1-inch