(2) Guide large end of plate and pull plate in
(5) Apply four equally spaced finger-tightened
place by means of haul line (9, fig. 3-22).
nuts to the bolts through large end of plate. One nut will
(3) Lower large end of plate over proper bolts
be sufficient to hold the small end in place. Do not
in top chime of the staves so it will straddle a vertical
(4) Small end of plate will drop over the
proper bolts (3, fig. 3-23). Release hooks.
FIRST DECK PLATE
PRESSURE VACUUM VALVE
Figure 3-23. First deck plate installed
(3) Left lap seam of last plate slips under
e. Installing Second Deck Plate.
right lap seam of first plate. Right lap seam of last plate
(1) Install gasket over bolts at left lap seam of
is placed over bolts in left lap seam of next-to-last plate
plate (4, fig. 3-23).
(2) Face small end of the plate. Install this
(4) Make necessary adjustments in the deck
plate and all remaining plates to left of first plate, or in a
if the last plate fails to fit properly.
counterclockwise direction around the tank.
(5) Remove nuts temporarily installed on all
(3) Raise the second plate and install it in
bolts in plate lap seams. Install a steel washer (4, fig.
accordance with procedures outlined in d above. Place
3-3), and nuts (5) on all bolts except on bolts in
right lap seam over bolts in left lap seam of first plate
top chime of staves. Install any missing nuts on chime
(4). and large end over proper bolts in top chime of
bolts. Make sure rounded head of nut is against the
plate and/or washer. Tighten the bolts.
(4) Install small end of plate following
(6) Remove the scaffold. Install washers and
procedures outlined in d above.
nuts on all bolts in vertical seams. Return brackets and
(5) Install nuts (5, fig. 3-21) on six equally
posts to the tank tool erection set. Remove gin pole (1.
spaced bolts in lap seam of plates. Install nuts on all
fig. 3-22) after all deck plates are installed.
bolts in the chime. Finger tighten all nuts.
h. Installing Manhole Cover.
Since the deck will have to be adjusted as plates are
If tank is used for water storage, omit emergency
Installed, do not tighten any bolts until deck is
vent valve (2, fig 3-24) Install manhole cover (1)
completely Installed Raise or lower center support
after installing manhole air intake.
ladder as required to fit plates in place
(1) Install a 28-bolthole gasket on top of
f. Installing Intermediate Deck Plates. There are
flange of dome (2, fig. 3-23).
three intermediate plates. The special plates remaining
(2) Insert bolts through flange and gasket, in
are installed to suit field conditions. Raise and install
that order. Gasket will hold the bolts down.
these plates following procedures outlined in (t and e
(3) Install manhole cover (1., fig. 3-24) over
the bolts. Install washer and nut on all bolts. Install
g. Installing Last Deck Plate.
washer and nut as described in paragraph f (5) above.
Tighten the bolts.
(1) Raise last deck plate before next-to-last
plate is installed.
(2) Raise right lap seam of first plate.